Hope you’ve enjoyed The Walking Dead and the assorted poems we’ve discussed. With
your next paper, you’ll have a choice between the two subjects.
With either of these choices, it will be your job to develop an argument based upon one of
the following questions. You’ll notice that each question differs in its view of the
story/poem. This is to start becoming familiar with literary theory and its drive to analyze a
story based upon a type “lens.”
For example, the first question has you rethink this story based on
a socio-political view of events, while the second is taking a New
Historicism approach of the story and its writer – Chapter 9 in
Reading and Writing about Literature, entitled “Literary Criticism
and Literary Theory (166-178).
- Zombies, zombies, and more zombies! We’ve read and
analyzed their meaning and your job now will be to further
analyze one of the themes we discussed for class. Key to
this analysis, is to consider what the author’s purpose was
in creating this story – which will help establish your
● If you do address this prompt, please remember that movies and tv shows
are not part of the discussion. It needs to be based solely on the graphic
● The art, speech bubbles, gutter, etc. need to be analyzed just as much as the
text, THROUGHOUT the paper. This is a visual text and requires this visual
AND textual analysis.
- Choose to write about a favorite poem or a new favorite poem (This does need
instructor approval), analyzing its key elements and meaning. You will need to do an
analysis of the poem that uses one of the literary lenses we’ve started talking about
So, for example, if you choose to examine how the poet’s life influenced the poem,
this might be considered a New Historicism approach. Your literary theory does
need to be labeled in the heading.
Paper Guidelines (Please keep these things in mind):
● A successful paper should be 1200-1500 words long.
● Clearly state your thesis and develop it using paragraphs focused on one topic.
Remember that you are trying to create an “argument”(a point that your paper is
trying to prove) and not merely summarize stories.
● If you choose a poem, it is necessary that it receives instructor approval.
○ No songs are allowed!
○ Include the word count in the title heading.
○ Include the Turnitin.com Originality Score in the heading.
○ Be sure to use several quotes (no more than 3-4 total, including outside
sources) to illustrate your paper’s argument. Be cautious of over-quoting,
diminishing your own points by being overly reliant on others’ ideas. I would
suggest no more than three quotes for the entire paper.
○ With this paper, you may use 1 or 2 outside sources, but you’ll need to limit
the total number of quotes to no more than two, as I don’t want the outside
sources to take the place of your own argument.
○ NO works cited page expected (unless you’ve used outside material).
● Use MLA style – Purdue OWL – MLA Format
Please feel free to chat with me during office hours or send me an email if you are
struggling with this assignment – but be specific in your question.
This will be your second formal paper assignment so it should follow the criteria for each
● A rough typed draft should be ready for Writing Workshop and be prepared to
distribute copies. Your draft should be no less than 80% complete. This is to give the
reader of your paper a chance to see an extended glance of your discussion.
● Final drafts are only submitted to turnitin.com.
Type of service: Academic paper writing
Type of assignment: Essay
Number of sources: 1
Academic level: Senior Graduate
Paper format: MLA
Line spacing: Double
Language style: US English