Written Task – in-depth reflection on specific health issue affecting Indigenous populations
Pick one health issue from the following list. Examine this health issue in an Indigenous population of your choice (does not have to be the Australian Indigenous population). Discuss how the social determinants of health influence this population with regard to this health issue and critically examine what interventions have been implemented for this health issue in this population.
Use the following reference for a starting point in your research: United Nations, 2009, The State of the World’s Indigenous Peoples
- · Diabetes
- · Maternal Mortality
- · Trachoma
- · Substance misuse
- · Obesity
- · Infectious disease (choose one specific
- · Teenage pregnancy
- · Sexual health
- · Suicide
Weighting 40% of final Grade
Format / Length / Duration
2000word report (12 point Arial font, double spacing including references) Report should include appropriate headings and sub-headings but there is no need to include an executive summary or table of contents. At a minimum must have the following sections: Introduction, Health issue – from a Social Determinants of Health perspective, Interventions – critique, Conclusion and References.
- Description of health issue (10%)
- Discussion of the social determinants and critique of interventions related
to the health issue with the indigenous population (15%)
- Use of research and appropriate evidence (10%)
- Presentation and referencing (5%)
Subject Learning Outcomes Assessed
1. Discuss the relationship between health inequalities and the social gradient of health.
2. Critically analyse social, economic, cultural and environmental influences on health and health outcomes, particularly the concepts of class, gender and ethnicity.
3. Explain and apply the different theoretical approaches to the social determinants of health.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of the impact of social determinants of health approaches to current public health issues.
Method of Submission
This assessment task has been set up to be checked by Turnitin, a tool for checking if it has unreferenced content. You can submit your assessment task to Turnitin prior to the due date and Turnitin will give you an originality report. You can then make any changes that may be required and re-submit you final version by the due date.
Type of service: Academic paper writing
Type of Assignment: Report
Subject: Healthcare & Medicine
Number of sources: 0
Academic level: Master’s
Paper format: Harvard
Line spacing: Double
Language style: AU English