Module Assessment Components
Options for component B to choose from –
• Sustainability and raw materials with SDGs Keywords: Masonry, Concrete, Asphalt concrete, Wood and timber, Glass, Metals, Polymer, Oil & gas, materials and water availability and issues with mining.
• How different countries see engineering/ How (critical) infrastructure differs across the globe? Keywords: Infrastructure, Critical Infrastructure, Green- Blue Infrastructure, Ageing Infrastructure, Resilience and Safety, Smart Cities, Sustainability, Construction Cyber Security and Critical Infrastructure, Technology innovations in Critical Infrastructure, Global Infrastructure trends, Uncertainty and Risk Assessment, Policy Making and Critical Infrastructure
• The current world water situation, civil engineering & SDGs: Keywords: water supply, sanitation, water stress, water infrastructure, climate change, critical thinking
For Component B- Position/Journal Paper, 2000 words (60 % weighting):
DEADLINE: 06/05/2021 (BLACKBOARD SUBMISSION)
• You are expected to prepare a position/journal paper (limited to 2000 words) on a theme of your choice in accordance with the editorial guidelines of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) Civil Engineer publication
• ICE editorial guidelines that you are required to follow are:
Article type: paper (2000 words, excluding Abstract and References list). Through the whole paper, text should be double line spaced, and pages should be numbered.
- Main Structure should include:
- Title Page:
• The date that the text was written or revised
• Title of paper (please see below for guidance on titles): Titles are limited to 90 characters, including spaces. Please avoid the use of any abbreviations, acronyms or formulae. Titles should clearly reflect the content of the manuscript and any search terms that readers may use should be considered and incorporated.
• Authors Student no and Module Code and Name
• Number of words in the main text (excluding abstract and references) and the number of figures and tables.
• Please provide a 150-200-word summary of the paper. This should be a concise reflection of the aims, findings, conclusions and any interesting or important results. This should contain no references; abbreviations that are not commonly used should be defined (for the benefit of the non-specialist reader) at first use.
- List of notations
• Please provide a list of symbols and definitions used in the text that would be helpful for the reader.
• These are used for indexing
• A concise, accurate, but not exhaustive, summary of current knowledge, with reference to relevant previous and recent works in the selected theme should be presented. This should be accompanied with the aims of and justification for the theme selected and presented in the position paper.
- Main Text with free format but:
• Figures and Tables should be of good quality (readable and clear). Figures and Tables must be mentioned in the text in consecutive order, but as different sets (ie, Figure 1, Table 1 etc.). Below each figure and table add a caption. Each caption must have a brief title accompanied with a short description that can be able to be understood without reference to the main text.
• If you use mathematical equations these should be numbered.
Please add a list of literature cited in the position paper at the end of the text. Harvard style (author, date) referencing is used in engineering papers. Further details about Harvard referencing can be found here:
Type of service: Academic paper writing
Type of Assignment: Essay
Number of sources: 4
Academic level: Undergraduate
Paper format: Harvard
Line spacing: Single
Language style: UK English