Cities in Decline or Distress White Paper (30%)
A white paper is a report or guide that informs readers concisely about a complex issue and presents
the issuing body’s philosophy on the matter. It is meant to help readers understand an issue, solve a
problem, or make a decision. Students will write a white paper on a city outside of Australia that is
currently experiencing decline or major distress. It must examine the reasons for the decline or
distress and the actions of government, private sector and community. Students will evaluate the
response aimed at fixing the issues and must propose (based on research) their own
The paper must examine:
• The nature and extent of the decline or distress – using relevant and empirical data/evidence.
• The reasons for the decline or distress – using relevant and empirical data/evidence.
• Any social / economic / environmental implications associated with the decline or distress.
• The subsequent actions/solutions/initiatives of government, private sector and/or community to
turn around the decline.
The paper should then:
• evaluate those responses aimed at fixing the issues – according to approach/outcomes/logic.
• propose / devise (based on research) their own recommendations.
Assignment Format – An essay is to be handed in the following format:
• A4 Portrait
• Arial font, size 11, spacing 1.15
• as an copy through Turnitin
• Maximum 3500 words, not counting the reference list
• Must contain an executive summary, Introduction, Analysis, Case Study, Conclusion and a
• Must use a minimum of 25 references (Chicago style) and at least 15 of these must be from
Type of service: Academic Paper Writing
Type of assignment: Essay
Number of Sources: 5
Academic level: Senior(college 4th year)
Paper Format: Chicago
Line spacing: Double
Language style: US English