In this assignment you are required to survey and critically analyse the data/findings from a range of
different studies in order to answer one of the following questions.
Choose ONE question from the two options below:
- Models of gender differences in language (difference, dominance etc.) often argue that the
differences between men and women arise due to gendered child rearing and gendered
language socialisation. Discuss evidence from a range of studies of child and parent speech
patterns to examine this claim.
- There is a popular notion that a gay speech style or ‘gay voice’ exists. Consult a range of
studies to examine the empirical evidence for this claim. What do these studies reveal about
the relationship between language, sexuality and gender?
Choose three primary studies to focus on and read the original work (journal article/book – as
opposed to text book summary)
- You are required to make reference to specific, empirical and often quantitative evidence
from the studies.
- You are encouraged to support your answer with Figures and Tables from the studies you
- While the majority of your focus will be on the three studies you select, you are encouraged
to make reference to other research and work beyond these.
Use the evidence in the studies to link to broader theoretical constructs, these might include (but
are not limited to):
- Models of language and gender and feminist approaches to
- Queer theory
o Compulsory heterosexuality
o The gender binary
o Gender performativity
Type of service: Academic paper writing
Type of assignment: Essay
Number of sources: 0
Academic level: Undergraduate
Paper format: APA
Line spacing: Double
Language style: UK English