Coursework- 2500 words: submission date: 10th May 2021 (20 credits)- 10% over allowed
Critically evaluate the effectiveness of an area of Youth Justice practice and produce a multi-agency improvement plan to improve the quality of services provided to young people in the specified area, addressing risks, needs and diversity.
The Assignment needs to meet the following Learning Outcomes:
- Exhibit critical knowledge and understanding of the concept and purpose of the quality assurance in a youth justice context
- Develop and evaluate an improvement plan for enhancing the performance of youth justice teams
- Apply knowledge and understanding of diversity, anti-discrimination and inequality when planning and delivering interventions for young people who have offended
- Review and evaluate a multi-agency approach towards young people who offend and how to work effectively in partnership with other organisations to assess and manage young people’s risk factors and needs
- Evaluate and reflect on the employment of effective practice in a youth justice setting
SUGGESTED STRUCTURE FOR THE WORK:
• Introduction (250 words)
• Development and purpose of Quality Assurance in Youth Justice (500 words) (LO1)
• Effective multi-Agency and Partnership working in Youth Justice, with a focus on a specific area of practice, recognising diversity, risks and needs of young people (500 words) (LO3, LO4)
• Develop an improvement plan for an area of YJ practice, which recognises diversity and meet the needs of all young people (500 words) (LO2, LO3) – Please refer to the PowerPoint on slide 9 – once focused on one area of Youth Justice practice – I chose either substance misuse or mental health. The table needs to be added in this section about what, why, how, who and when.
• Conclusion- evaluate and reflect on the employment of effective practice in a youth justice setting (250 words) (LO5)
CHOOSE AN AREA OF YOUTH JUSTICE PRACTICE
- Substance Misuse
- Risk Management
- Mental Health
- Education, Training and Employment
- Knife Crime
- Restorative Justice
- Accommodation and Homelessness
The improvement plan should relate to one of these areas, it should identify what the current evidence is regarding effectiveness of Youth Justice in the area drawing upon evidence from reports, publications, teaching etc.
From this, the improvement plan needs to focus on what a Youth Offending Service, together with partner agencies, could do to improve outcomes for young people; you do not need to know how a local YOS is performing but need to focus on what would improve effective practice generally.
Using a simple improvement planning framework, identify:
What the concerns are- from research, reports and evidence
Why the concerns need to be addressed- evidence of the scale of the issues, analysis
How the concerns could be addressed- Training, Resources (including staffing), Interventions, Partnership arrangements, Management
Who needs to be involved to address these- particular staff e.g. Managers, Case Managers, Specialist workers e.g. CAMHS, Partnership agencies
When the concerns should be addressed- Timescales and Targets e.g. evaluation measures
Provide a clearly defined Improvement Plan, using a suggested improvement plan framework, SMART, 5 WH or the Youth Justice Planning framework headings. Explain and support the plan, with the evidence from your study of the area of practice.
Across all of the above areas, students should be referring to the outcomes for all young people and so recognising the over representation of those from BAME groups, issues for young women, geographical differences etc. and showing how the needs of these overrepresented groups could be addressed.
Structure- provide an Introduction, Main body and Conclusion. Any new theme should be given a new paragraph
Style- you should use appropriate language and grammar. The assignment needs to be written in an academic style; avoid first person unless stating opinion supported by evidence. Times Roman – Font size 10-12
Content- the quality and application of evidence used to support argument. Use evidence, from reading and research, to support themes
Relevance- application of concepts and theories and in suggested reading! All identified module LO outcomes need to be met.
Depth- use academic sources, YJB publications, journal articles, quality internet sources and teaching
Researching- all referencing in the assignment should follows NTU’s referencing guide. Reference list at the end
Type of service: Academic Paper writing
Type of assignment: Essay
Subject: Social studies
Number of Sources: 0
Academic level: Undergraduate
Paper Format: Harvard
Line spacing: Double
Language style: UK English